Yes, it’s an entire resume down there. If you prefer, you can download the resume in MS Word.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Mark Woodruff, senior marketing consultant
1003 Palos Verdes Drive
Austin, Texas 78734
home: (512) 410-4151, mobile: (512) 785-4483
I am a marketing consultant who develops creative marketing solutions and content in language that is easy to understand and that elicits a response. Important: I am a hands-on marketer, meaning I know how to develop the marketing concept, test it, write the copy, build the web page or email campaign, etc.
Work History (most recent listed first):
- Dell (Round Rock) Small Business projects manager, Small Business Services brand manager: 2 years
- BMC Software (Austin) lead writer/marketing specialist: 7 years
- Viseta Interactive Agency (Austin), president: 1 year
- McKinsey & Company (D.C.), consultant: 1 year
- Idea Integration (D.C. & Houston), Creative Practice manager: 2 years
- Tenagra Corp. (Houston), Management Team leader: 2 years
- Shell Oil (Houston), marcom and public affairs specialist: 10 years
- Vollmer Public Relations (Houston), account executive: 2 years
- Schreiner University (Kerrville, Texas), College Relations officer: 2 years
- Managed a multi-million-dollar marketing campaign: Directed “America’s Favorite Small Business,” the year-long, $8M campaign/contest for US Small Office, exceeding every KPI. See the one-minute summary video: AFSB 1-Minute Summary – youtu.be/E6i0skt0KmA
- Increased awareness and units for Services: Serving as brand manager for US Small Business Services, I implemented a clear services message platform across all marketing vehicles, generating an increase in the services attach rate from 35% to 50%, year-over-year.
Other Experience (organized by function)
- Developing marketing concepts and hands-on content creation: Have experience creating comprehensive marketing campaigns. Deliverables have included: Web sites, multi-tiered email campaigns and landing pages, videos, Web programming, creative for print ads and online banners, white papers, Webinars and more. My comfort zone: Develop the complete concept – hands-on –writing/developing all supporting content.
- Writing and editing creative content: Broad range of writing experience, including:
- Marketing collateral (email, landing pages, Web copy, print/radio/banner ads, brochures and more)
- Writing for the IT audience
- Web writing (for bmc.com, shellchemicals.com, unisys.com, Freddie Mac’s Frontier Web site, McKinsey & Company intranet, and several other freelance Web projects)
- Creating brand guidelines (for BMC Software, Unisys, Shell Chemicals)
- Speech and video writing (for senior management at BMC, Shell Oil)
- Webinar writing (wrote BMC Webinar copy to distill highly technical concepts for a broad range of comprehension)
- Corporate publication writing (for Shell Oil annual report, employee magazines)
- Feature writing (for multiple PR clients, corporate publications)
- News releases (for multiple companies, PR agency clients)
- Proposal writing (scores of business development proposals)
- Personal (blogging, screenplay, short stories, poetry, journal)
- Creating brand guidelines: Wrote from scratch the brand guidelines for BMC Software, Shell Chemicals, and Unisys. In addition to defining the rules of style and usage, my role was to train employees and agency contacts on the respective brands. For BMC Software, I also served on the Brand Review Team and was responsible for reviewing and approving all marketing deliverables.
- Building and managing large-scale Web sites: I managed all operations for the Austin-based Web marketing and development firm Viseta and its six-person staff, guiding the corporation to its first profits in more than a year. I built and managed the 10-person Creative Practice for the D.C. office of Idea Integration (a Web consulting firm), at which I pitched and won the Freddie Mac account. At Tenagra (a Web consulting firm) in Houston, I pitched and won the Unisys corporate account, then managed the development and launch of the 20,000-page Unisys.com. I also built and managed the ShellChemicals.com from its infancy through its first two years.
- SEO and online marketing: Having designed, built and consulted on several Web businesses, I have a solid understanding of Web technologies, search engine optimization, social media marketing, online marketing tools and strategies, designing and optimizing email and Web sites, etc.
- Creating and managing industry events:
- Developing the content: Developed themes, brochures, advertising content, email campaigns, booth messages and more for industry events, including the annual BMC Userworld conferences, the BMC Public Sector Forum and the Shell Chemicals National Plastics Expo.
- Coordinating large-scale events: Directed and hosted a wide variety of special events, including a speaker’s series, corporate anniversary celebration, collegiate homecoming weekends and United Way campaigns. I have experience building large tradeshow exhibits (Shell Chemicals, 1,000 square feet), directing tradeshow contractors and consultants as well as managing an on-site tradeshow presence.
- Serving as media relations rep: Served as a media spokesperson for multiple PR agency clients, Schreiner University and Shell Oil. Earned extensive crisis communication experience as part of the Crisis Response Team for Shell Oil.
- Working in corporate and agency environments: I have worked on “both sides” of marketing and posses extensive marketing experience not only in corporate marketing (Shell Oil, BMC Software), but also in agency work (both advertising and PR work with Vollmer Public Relations, Idea Integration, Viseta/Fellers Advertising).
- Developing proposals and giving presentations: Developed and presented scores of proposals to prospective clients around the country while working with Viseta, Idea Integration and Tenagra. Developed and presented the winning proposal for the Freddie Mac Web site (with Idea Integration), and the Unisys.com site (with Tenagra).
- Developing budgets and timelines: Developed and managed the $8 million budget for a year-long small-business contest and reality show on YouTube and Facebook (America’s Favorite Small Business) See the case study and metrics for this project. Developed and managed budgets and timelines for multiple special events, Web development projects and Idea Integration’s Creative Practice. In the latter position, I also had revenue accountability ($2.3 million/year). I am proficient at creating and managing timelines for publications, large projects, Web sites and more.
- Managing the print processes: Coordinated the print process for hundreds of pieces, including publications, brochures, annual reports, banners, etc.
- Training: Trained BMC employees and agency personnel on the BMC brand guidelines. Trained 150 Unisys employees on writing and developing content for the Unisys Web site. Developed training program for 500 McKinsey recruiters worldwide.
- Voice-over work: Wrote and recorded voice-overs for radio ads and product demos.
Bachelor of journalism with a public relations sequence, University of Texas at Austin
Linked in profile: linkedin.com/in/markwoodruff
I am proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.), several audio and video editing tools, Google Analytics, Google Keywords Tool, the WordPress platform and dozens of related plugins, all MS Office tools, and I am at home on the PC as well as the Mac.
Married, and have two boys. To stay in touch with best practices in marketing, I design, develop and manage several online businesses. Enjoy mountain biking. Love my mischievous dog to the extent that it’s embarrassing. I do lead vocals and play drums in three Austin bands.